Tuesday, December 26, 2006

End of the year wrap-up
1. What did you do in 2006 that you'd never done before? Had a baby! That's a big one.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Hmm. I don't usually do resolutions. I think my resolution was probably to not have morning sickness anymore (check) and to have my baby (check). So, success!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Uh, I did! So, yes! Also all our new friends in our prenatal classes, some friends from church, my good friend Carrie...loads of babies around here.
4. Did anyone close to you die? My friend Leslie O'Bannon, who grew up next door to me, died in a tragic plane crash in November. My college advisor, Dr. Michael Vander Weele, lost his wife Albertena after a decade-long struggle with cancer.
5. What places did you visit? Iowa and Michigan, mostly. Jeff and I made a road-trip to Pittsburgh in February which was surprisingly fun. Lots of visiting of the Hocking Hills, which are remarkable.
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006? A graduate degree, please!

7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? Well, the obvious one is June 23, when Charlotte was born. Also January 18, the first time I felt her move. November 23, Jeff's 30th birthday. September 16, our 6th anniversary.
8. What was your biggest achievement(s) of the year? Having a kid. Keeping it together through my fall quarter. Learning eine bisschen Deutsch.
9. What was your biggest failure? Hmm. Not getting Charlotte to sleep well?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Ha, only birth.
11. What was the best thing you bought? My digital camera, a Nikon D70s. I love you, D70s.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? My husband's. What a spectacular father.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? No one! Hooray!

14. Where did most of your money go? Housing. And diapers.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Being a mom. Going to school.
16. What song will always remind you of 2006? Father and Daughter by Paul Simon. Gracie by Ben Folds. King of Carrot Flowers by Neutral Milk Hotel.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? Definitely happier, particularly since I'm not constantly nauseated.

b) thinner or fatter? Argh. Fatter. Much fatter.
c) richer or poorer? About the same, surprisingly.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Read and slept before Charlotte arrived.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Worrying. Watching television.
20. How did you spend Christmas last year? On the road between Iowa and Michigan.
21. Did you fall in love in 2006? Oh, did I ever!

22. What was your favorite TV program? Scrubs.
23. What did you do for your birthday in 2006? I had class, but they celebrated with cake in my class!
24. What was the best book you read? I read a lot of books for school, none of which particularly won me over. Probably Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko. Also Giving Birth by OU's own Catherine Taylor.

25. Who was the best new person you met? Charlotte!
26. What was your greatest musical discovery? Neutral Milk Hotel.
27. What did you want and get? A healthy baby.

28. What did you want and not get? Nothing. Awesome!
29. What was your favorite film of this year? I didn't see a lot of movies. I probably would have liked Prairie Home Companion had I seen it.

30. Did you make some new friends this year? Yes.
31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Massages. More massages.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006? Maternity and post-maternity.
33. What kept you sane? Reading and writing. Looking at my daughter's face.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Urgh. No one.
35. What political issue stirred you the most? The war.
36. Who did you miss? My family.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006. Trust your gut.

1 comment:

Kurt said...

Wow, I wish I had that "I had a baby" accomplishment to list among my year's activities. That's a great way to shut people up. People ask, "Hey, what did you do this year?" And you say, "Well, actually, I gave birth...that whole thing." Conversation over--you win.

What did Kurt do in 2006 that he'd never done before? Nothing that momentous. But then, there are a few days left yet.

-K