Monday, January 04, 2010

The annual end of the year wrap-up! Previous years: 2008, 2007, 2006

1. What did you do in 2009 that you'd never done before? Ran a 5k; parented two children (at once!)
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? Once again, my NY resolution was to get in shape. I did great through April, even shedding quite a few of those baby pounds, but my summer and fall were insane, and exercise was the thing that fell by the wayside. This year's resolutions: 1. to exercise regularly, in the form of running and (gulp) that 30-day shred DVD; 2. to eat more fruits and veggies.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Yes, but I am sure I'm going to miss some. Let's see. Two friends back home--Kelly had her fourth (Ava) and Tena her fourth AND fifth (Macey and Madelyn). My friend here in KS, Keri, welcomed her son Elliot (wait, am I spelling that right?) in November. I can't think of anyone else.
4. Did anyone close to you die? If so, I can't remember.
5. What places did you visit? Not a ton of travelling this year due to having a new baby. We visited Iowa twice and Michigan twice. There's the possibility of more travelling on our docket in 2010.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? A bit more of a manageable schedule, please. A clearer idea of a research direction for my PhD.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? My children's birthdays (June 23 and December 27).
8. What was your biggest achievement(s) of the year? Getting through this fall, and maintaining my 4.0 whilst doing so. Running that 5k in April.
9. What was your biggest failure? I really am disappointed that I didn't keep my running up, but something had to give, and running was the only thing that seemed disposable.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? A couple horrible bouts of mastitis.
11. What was the best thing you bought? Hmm. Plants and seeds for my garden this summer? Cloth diapers?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? This annual award goes, once again, to my husband. Honorable mention to the kids, who have turned out to be great sleepers, THANK YOU GOD.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? I'm a little irritated that we can't figure out a way to get everyone in this country access to affordable health care, but knowing who to point my finger at is beyond my grasp of politics.
14. Where did most of your money go? Rent. Food.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Finishing my fall semester. Charlotte starting preschool and ballet. Sam starting to talk.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009? Read My Mind by The Killers (story to be posted regarding that soon)
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? Happier, I think. No baby blues now! b) thinner or fatter? The same, but this time last year I had just had a baby. This year I have no excuse.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? General down time. Exercise.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Grading papers, THE HORROR.
20. How did you spend Christmas last year? At home with Jeff and the kids, in our PJs all day, snowed in.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009? I continue to fall in love with my kids and husband. They are rad, you guys.
22. What was your favorite TV program? LOST captured me again.
23. What did you do for your birthday in 2009? My mom was down for the weekend. She watched the kids and Jeff and I got to go out together the night before. I made myself cupcakes for my birthday proper.
24. What was the best book you read? I read O Pioneers! and couldn't believe I had missed out on it before.
25. Who was the best new person you met? I like alot of the new grad students.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery? Sam's drumming and Charlotte's singing.
27. What did you want and get? A baby who actually sleeps.
28. What did you want and not get? I can't think of anything here.
29. What was your favorite film of this year? UP and Sherlock Holmes were both great, great movies.
30. Did you make some new friends this year? See #25
31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Financial security and additional free time.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009? I tried, okay? But I'd have to say I'm still a t-shirts girl.
33. What kept you sane? My family and my type-A personality.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Robert Downey Jr. Rawwr.
35. What political issue stirred you the most? Health care reform.
36. Who did you miss? My friends from Ohio.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009. In the inimitable words of Dory from Finding Nemo: Just keep swimming!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!